NPR Jazz On WCLK
Twenty nine year old Chicago trumpet player Marquis Hill pays homage to Jazz standards on his new Concord Jazz release The Way We Play. Hill won the 2014 Thelonius Monk International Jazz Competition, and you can see why as you listen to this record's modern takes on songs played by all of the Jazz icons who have gone before. Hill's ensemble includes: Alto Saxophonist Christopher McBride; Vibraphonist Justin Thomas; Drummer Makaya McCraven; and, Bassist Joshua Ramos. You can hear cuts from...
Latest News From NPR
- Federal Judge Temporarily Blocks Enforcement of State Bathroom Law At UNC
- Appeals Court Says Using Fake Social Security Number Doesn't Have To Mean Deportation
- Three Miles Ahead
- Animal Rights Activist On Trial In Canada For Giving Water To Pigs
- Cecile McLorin Salvant And Sullivan Fortner
- Episode 721: Unbuilding A City
- 'Southside With You' Has Us Asking: Where Is The Love In Black Movies?
- 'Mystery Shoppers' Help U.S. Regulators Fight Racial Discrimination At Banks
- After Louisiana Floods, A Photographer Finds Resilience
- KCRW Presents: Miguel
The Local Take With Kiplyn Primus
Saturday, August 13 at 7:00 a.m. on The Local Take on Jazz 91.9 WCLK I talk with Val Cater the founder of Gilgal House in Atlanta. We are also joined by Barbara Jackson with Gilgal House. They talk about how this organization came from Cater's business profits that turned into investment in a home for Atlanta women who suffer from the ravages of addiction and homelessness. A strong Christian faith and mission undergirds their programs, which provide housing and programming to address the...
JaQuitta Williams is your host for Your Health Connection on Jazz 91.9 WCLK Wednesday, July 20 at 6:00 p.m. This month we take a look back a the work done over the past year by the Center for Cancer Research and Therapeutic Development (CCRTD) at Clark Atlanta University. JaQuitta's guests will include CCRTD Senior Research Research Scientist and Community Outreach Director, Dr. Kimberly Davis; CCRTD Associate Research Director, Dr. Valerie Odero-Marah; and, Doctoral Student, Mawiya Kimbrough...