Pianist Orrin Evans has been playing on and making Jazz records since 1995. Among others, he's studied under Kenny Barron. On his 26 record #knowingishalfthebattle, Evans is joined by fellow Philadelphia natives Kevin Eubanks and Kurt Rosenwinkle for Straight-Ahead Jazz sounds that also nods to Electronica at times. You can hear select cuts from #knowingishalfthebattle on Jazz 91.9 WCLK during Serenade To The City, Monday through Friday from 10:00 p.m. until 2:00 a.m. You can learn more about Orrin Evans by clicking here .
The Local Take With Kiplyn Primus
This week on The Local Take I speak with Gary Golio and Charlotte Riley-Webb about the children's book: Strange Fruit Billie Holiday and the Power of a Protest Song . The children's novel for those age Eight - 12 shares not only the biography of the legendary Jazz singer but also her serendipitous meeting with: Abel Meeropol, Barney Joesphson and John Hammond. In addition, Gary shares the history of how the poem Bitter Fruit written by Abel Meeropol , became the song Strange Fruit . Billie...
NPR Jazz On WCLK
Latest News From NPR
- Digitization Unearths New Data From Cold War-Era Nuclear Test Films
- A New Zealand River Now Has The Legal Rights Of A Human
- James Cotton, Giant Of The Blues Harmonica, Dies At 81
- Activists Celebrate Arrest Of Ukraine's Tax Chief In Corruption Probe
- A Unlikely Romance Blossoms, Rooted In A Secret: 'Frantz'
- A Family Struggles To Connect In The Rueful, Richly Detailed 'After The Storm'
- 'T2 Trainspotting': Indulgent Film Reunites Indulgent Characters, 20 Years Later
- Tale As Old As Time — And It Shows: 'Beauty And The Beast'
- Judge Gorsuch's Writings Signal He Would Be A Conservative On Social Issues
- How To Make Farmers Love Cover Crops? Pay Them