Jason Marsalis continues to push Jazz vibraphone forward on Melody Reimagined: Book 1 with his 21st Century Trad Band, just released on Basin Street Records. Jason is the youngest Marsalis, but he's also an NEA Jazz Master. For this record Marsalis is joined by the Trad Band--Austin Johnson on piano, Will Goble on bass, and Dave Potter on drums. He's also joined by guests including his Father Ellis and brother Delfeayo. The idea with Melody Reimagined is exploring the possibilities of...
Latest News From NPR
- FEMA Drops 'Climate Change' From Its Strategic Plan
- Miami Pedestrian Walkway Collapses Onto Road, Killing At Least 4
- Syrian War Enters 8th Year, Trailing Smoke And Suffering In Its Wake
- NPR's Washington Desk Expands
- 'Road Rage' Driver Who Killed Ex-NFL Player Sentenced To 30 Years Prison
- Tyminski On Mountain Stage
- Dozens Of Gold Bars Reportedly Fell From An Airplane In Siberia
- Slack Hostage Drama '7 Days In Entebbe' Never Takes Off
- 'Tomb Raider,' Franchise Nadir
- 'Flower' Is Thorny But Rootless
The Local Take With Kiplyn Primus
Two years ago I spoke with Dr. Kwesi deGraft -Hanson about his discovery of The Weeping Time . The Weeping Time refers to the largest documented sell off of enslaved humans ever recorded in North America. It happened in Savannah, Georgia. This weekend marks the 159th Anniversary. Saturday morning at 8:00am on The Local Take We'll revisit that conversation with the first of a two part special edition. Stay tuned next week for the second half of my original conversation with Dr. deGraft-Hanson,...