April is National Poetry Month and Jazz 91.9 WCLK and Clark Atlanta University (CAU) Department of English presents a poetry competition for poets ages 18 and up. Poets are invited to submit original poetry on topics ranging from the joy of being alive to commentary about social and political issues. Do you want to praise someone; heal a broken heart with your words; or, celebrate the future? Submit your poetry now through Friday, April 18, 5:00 p.m. to: CAUPoetryContest@cau.edu
Guidelines: Poets ages 18 and up are invited to submit original poetry for the WCLK Poetry On-Air program, in collaboration with Poetry at CAU. The first 50 poets to submit work (maximum of two poems - 100 word maximum) will be considered by our panel of judges; and, three winners will be selected for the WCLK Poetry On Air program in April during National Poetry Month. Winning poets will read their poems on the air to WCLK’s diverse listening audience.
Poems on topics ranging from the joy of being alive to commentary about the social and political issues that give us the blues on a sunny day, will be considered.
- Do you want to praise someone or something? (your mom, dad, relative, neighbor, friend)
- Can you heal a broken heart with your words? (break-up, grief and loss, divorce, unemployment)
- Do you want to rant about a disturbing trend? (violence, rudeness, FB, drugs, guns, lovers)
- Do you want to celebrate the future? (children, new job, new love, old love, new attitude)
- Do you need someone to hold your hand? (make peace, forgive, make-up, be kind, be gentle)
Poems will be judged on originality, style and content.
Submit today to be among the first 50 poets.
Our panel of judges includes poets: Theresa Davis, Robert Earl Price, Mariana McDonald, Eugene B. Redmond, Ph.D., and Felton Eaddy, English Department, CAU.